Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hello.. Hellooo.. can you hear me?

While I'm not absolutely against technology, I still believe we've cut our lives way too short. I remember how my mum would wait in a line (when we were kids) to make a phone call to her mum in Simla. That too after 11pm when STD calling was 1/4th the price. Apparently, calling Bombay from Pune back then was more expensive than calling Mogadishu from North Pole today. But then again, I do not expect any people having to call Mogadishu from the North Pole 'cause while they may be the fastest and the strongest, I'm yet to hear of an African person attempt scaling a peak (No offence my braaathers, I know you can hip hop your way into a volcano also).

Now, I can call anybody anywhere within the privacy of my home and not have to look outside (of what looked like a yellow two by two prison) and wonder if someone was pissed off and wanted to take my place in the hell hole instead. And they only had two cumulative hours to do all the talking. (Life was one frustrated bitch). Then somebody decided to slash the STD rates in India and our beggar population (of former phone booth owners) grew manifold. That's when our mobile phones set in. I find it interesting that they're called mobile 'cause they're only "mobile" as long as you pay for it. My dream world has one network with no roaming (national or otherwise), and they only make Blackberry and IPhone (and some Chinese people will still find a way to fit 20 SIM cards into it).

My mom is the least educated person when it comes to a mobile phone. Her come back line has always been "I can cut open a human being, shake him/her up, and then stitch them back.. and they will still live". This is where I accept defeat. Neither can I "shake him/her" nor can I fix a glitch on the mobile phone. With all due respect, I am a slave of technology. I hate it just as much as the African slaves hated their white masters. But we'll all find our NBA and become bigger than them.

P.S. I heard you can now use your mobile phone to unlock you car. Imagine if they had this (and hacking) in 16th century chastity belt era! It would have been one good place.

4 comments:

  1. while we're discussing your love for technology, u should write a post about Herbert being in "awe" of your phone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha.. He now believes my phone is rabid!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. at the risk of sounding slightly stalker-ish
    did you realize you've blogged more this year, than the last few?
    thats pretty super.

    also, i guffawed at "But we'll all find our NBA and become bigger than them."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I have posted more often this year!! And that's not stalker-ish at all!! :)

    ReplyDelete